Contributions are not limited to code patches. There are lots of ways to contribute to the success of the project, including:
- Submit bug reports
- Suggest new features
- Make other comments on how to improve the the quality of the program
- Help write good documentation
- Participate on the mailing lists and IRC
- Contribute to this Wiki
If you want to help code the project, here are some general suggestions for where to begin:
- Read the code - Developers
- Start small
- Learn the build process and help improve it!
- Submit patches (and don't be discouraged if they are rejected or heavily modified)
- Work on an item on the Wishlist
When submitting patches, please use git format-patch to create patch files, or if working directly from a source file and not using git, use the unified diff format. See our Coding Style guidelines for more information.